A career is no longer what it was promised out to be back in the 50's or 60's. Now, a career is just a series of jobs that lead up to retirement, if one intends on actually retiring. I am of the belief that retirement may not be around for the millennial generation, especially for those with horrendous finances. However, you could still plan and be better off and have a good chance of retiring.
I do not think that investing in a government mandated retirement account is a good idea for retirement, but I do like the idea of rental properties, and having a piece of land to parcel out in the event of retirement. I would ideally like to have a small house on a large plot of land, and two or three rental properties by the time I am retired, so that I can live off of rental income and in case the stock market crashes again, I would not be completely screwed over.
Moreover, a career for a single man is a scam. Going into an office for a commute everyday sounds like a slow and painful death sentence, and a man can get by on very little income if he is just supporting himself. With that said, your career should be what you enjoy doing, that makes you happy and makes enough money to support yourself and hobbies that you enjoy doing, and of course: saving for retirement, even though it may not be around in the end. But, that retirement could be in different methods-self employment, rental properties, investing in foreign markets, etc.
My idea of a perfect job is where I am left alone for eight hours a day, to let me work on the work that I actually have to do, and complete it without going to nonsense meetings, or being a kiss ass to some boss whose wife is being fucked by some dude bro, and whose kids are being outsourced to daycare.
My idea of a perfect life, as well, is to be able to live my life outside of work without having to take work home. I hate the idea of having to bring home work, after I have left the office for the day. That would sound like a complete headache, and for anyone who has a 9-5 job would probably agree with me that taking home work shouldn't happen: especially if you're working full time (unless of course, they're willing to compensate me for my time at home).
When you are at home, you should be focusing on yourself, your hobbies, and whatever it is that makes you excited to get out of bed in the morning. And if that happens to be your job, then you are the luckiest bastard there ever was.
No comments:
Post a Comment